and Reading Sources
The required textbooks for this course are:
- Beckman, G. Hittite Diplomatic Texts, ed. H. A. Hoffner. 2nd edition. Writings from the Ancient World. Atlanta: Society of Biblical Literature, 1999.
- Hamblin, W. J. Warfare in the Ancient Near East to 1600 BC: Holy Warrior at the Dawn of History. Warfare and History Series. Routledge, 2006.
- Moran, William L., editor. The Amarna Letters. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2000.
- Podany, Amanda H. The Ancient Near East: A Very Short Introduction. Very Short Introductions Series. London & Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2013.
- Shaw, Ian, ed. The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt. New edition. New York, Oxford University Press, 2004.
- Spalinger, A. J. War in Ancient Egypt: The New Kingdom. Ancient World at War Series. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing Professional, 2005.
Web Sources and Library Readings
A variety of monographic extracts, primary texts, book chapters, and journal articles of historical and historiographical nature are also required reading for this course. Most of these readings are located Addlestone Library (Reserve, Reference, or Periodicals). Others are available for downloading and printing from these course Web pages. The location of each reading is noted in the Syllabus and the "Reading Assignments"-schedule in the course's Web Pages which is updated regularly. Please consult these Web pages on a regular basis for updates. The specific location of each Web source and library reading is clearly noted in the weekly "Reading Assignments"-schedule.
| History 470 Main Page |